As promised in last night’s teleseminar here is the outline you need to use for a book proposal. This is covered in more detail on page 65 of the workbook, worksheet 7 and class 7 – The Marketing Plan. You will note that all the answers can be found on all the previous worksheets we have worked on.
* Why do you feel compelled to write this book?
* Why will someone want to read it?
* Is there a particularly timely nature of the subject area?
* What are the specific benefits of your book?
ALL THESE ANSWERS ARE IN WORKSHEETS ONE AND TWO
* How do you plan on marketing the book?
YOU MUST MENTION ANY EXISTING WORKSHOPS, TELESEMINARS OR SPEAKING EVENTS WHICH WILL GIVE YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO SELL BACK OF ROOM. ALSO ANY NEWSLETTERS, NETWORKING GROUPS OR WEBSITES WHERE YOU CAN SELL YOUR BOOK.
* Now describe the contents of your book in plain English. Be as precise as possible, providing both a general overview and a rundown of subjects treated in detail. Indicate how in-depth your coverage will be.
This is the back page sales copy with all the topics you will include in your book which you highlighted in your mind map exercise.
* Who will be the audience for this title?
Try to avoid falling into the “all things for all people” trap. Specify who will need to read this book, identify industries. Also include information on professional associations, potential courses, and any other items that may help us reach your audience.
THIS IS THE INFORMATION YOU WROTE IN WORKSHEETS ONE AND TWO
If you really want to speed up our process, list other books on the same or related subjects that have been written for the same market. Include all pertinent information (author, title, publisher, date published, price, and number of pages). Then provide a sentence or two to explain how your book is different from (and of course, better than) each.
THIS IS COVERED IN CLASS SEVEN – SEE THE EXAMPLE ON PAGE 69/70 OF THE WORKBOOK
Describe your ideas about the physical book:
* How many pages do you estimate it being?
* Approximately how many illustrations will be included?
* Can these be black and white, or is color necessary?
THIS WILL BE DISCUSSED IN CLASS FOUR.
* How long will it take you to complete the entire manuscript?
ESTIMATE THIS BY TAKING EACH TOPIC AREA YOU HIGHLIGHTED ON YOUR MIND MAP AND DECIDING IF YOU CAN USE EXISTING MATERIAL OR IF YOU NEED TO RESEARCH MORE OR WRITE MORE AND HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE.
* How is this tied to your business?
* And are there any potential up sells or complimenting products yet?
You ready for this? We’d like to get to know you. Please tell us about yourself. Include a recent resume, if available, as well as a list of professional affiliations. Are you a member of any Associations related to the subject matter of the book?
WORKSHEET 5 – ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Ideally, we’d love to see a finished manuscript. So, please include as much material as you have already prepared, including Table of Contents and any Chapters you may have. If pertinent, it’s also a good idea to enclose some illustrations if you can.
TABLE OF CONTENTS AND 3 SAMPLE CHAPTERS IS MINIMUM.
Thank you for your time and effort in compiling this information. We hope that the preparation of this proposal has helped you think about your book, and increased your awareness of publishing requirements. We appreciate the opportunity to partner in your success.
THIS IS THE REQUIREMENT FROM THE NEW YORK PUBLISHER THAT I REFER INSPIREABOOK AUTHORS. IF YOU WOULD LIKE THE OPPORTUNITY FOR ME TO REFER YOUR BOOK WITH MY PERSONAL RECOMMENDATION YOU WILL NEED TO COMPLETE ALL 8 CLASSES.